Balcony Insulation | There are a great many ideas for using the balcony space. Housewives store harvesting, pickles and crops from the garden on the balconies, flower growers equip greenhouses, a playroom for children, an office for a working person can be made from a large loggia, and when the loggia is connected to a room, the room can be enlarged and given an original look. But for all these options for the practical use of the balcony, it must first be insulated.
Table of Contents
- Balcony Insulation schemes
- Step-by-step instructions for warming a balcony
- How to insulate the balcony?
- Mistakes when insulating a balcony
Balcony Insulation schemes
To choose a balcony insulation scheme, determine what kind of room you own. There are 2 definitions: balcony and loggia.
- A balcony is an external structure outside the building, supported by a concrete slab. The parapet is made of metal, lined with plywood or plastic.
- Loggia is the interior of a building, 3 walls of which border the apartment. The parapet is metal, concrete or brick.
The insulation scheme depends on whether there is a balcony or a loggia in your apartment, and on the further purpose of the space. If the loggia is used to store blanks and products, it is enough to insulate the parapet in one layer. To connect the loggia to the room, insulate the wall facing the street in two layers, the rest of the walls, floor and ceiling in one layer. The balcony in such a situation will have to be insulated in two layers from all sides.
Step-by-step instructions for warming a balcony
The balcony insulation technology is the same, only materials change. Let’s highlight the stages of balcony or loggia insulation:
- Glazing. High-quality plastic windows are half the battle. Use a two-chamber double-glazed unit; in the northern regions, a three-chamber one is also suitable.
- Elimination of cracks. Use polyurethane foam or other convenient sealant. Pre-lay wide gaps with foam. Remove excess sealant after drying.
- Waterproofing the inner surface of the balcony. If you use roofing material, glue the sheets to the base with an overlap, treat the joints with a gas burner. Apply liquid waterproofing materials with a roller.
- Lay and secure a layer of insulation.
- Balcony vapor barrier. Use foil-clad Penofol. Lay the material joint to joint, glue the joints with aluminum tape. Leave the foil layer on top, it will keep the warmth inside the room, preventing it from leaving.
- The final stage: finishing the walls and ceiling, laying the floor. Any materials are suitable for cladding, make the floor wooden on logs or concrete bulk.
How to insulate the balcony?
There are not so many common materials for insulating a balcony. Modern material penoplex belongs to the group of expanded polystyrene. It is produced in layers of various sizes and thicknesses, due to which the degree of insulation varies. For ease of installation, purchase a penoplex with a “thorn and groove” stacking system, the layers fit tightly to each other, eliminating heat loss. A less durable, but more heat-resistant material is foam. An additional plus of foam is hygroscopicity (it does not lose its properties when moisture gets in). Insulate the loggia from the side of the heated premises with clapboard, there is enough wood to maintain heat. But for work on the balcony, the lining is suitable only as a facing material, a layer of additional insulation is required under it. Another material is mineral wool.
Mistakes when insulating a balcony
Repair professionals identify several common mistakes when insulating a balcony:
- Glazing was not done. By saving on double-glazed windows, you run the risk of wasting money on insulating the entire balcony.
- The floor was not insulated. Even with an overall comfortable room temperature, cold floors create discomfort.
- The ceiling was not insulated. Warm air rises up, cold air descends. Without insulation of the ceiling, the heat from the room will go through the concrete slab.
- The joints were not processed. Cracks in windows or insulation will create a draft. In a windy mezseason, the heat on the balcony will not remain.
- A thermally insulated balcony is similar in essence to a thermos. Install an additional heat source to maintain a comfortable temperature during the cold season.
Making a balcony insulation with your own hands is not difficult. The main thing is to choose high-quality material and not violate technology.